BBQ Chicken Salad
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This week for #SundaySupper the topic is Dinner Salads, and for my offering I decided upon a Mesquite grilled bbq chicken salad with bbq ranch dressing and grilled veggies. For this recipe, I opted to use a McCormick marinade mix instead of making everything from scratch, since I know some of my readers enjoy the convenience of using that.
This recipe fits in perfectly with the beginning days of early summer and all the grilling we enjoy doing. I bought myself a new smoker, so will be having fun with that (if it ever stops raining). But I can’t think of summer too soon when our overnight temps are dipping near freezing and we have to put on a near military campaign to protect plants and tender vegetation. Plus there’s a nest in our porch fern with tiny baby birds in it. I do hope they will be all right overnight. I doubt the fern will make it, but I sacrificed it in the name of those babies since I doubt mama bird would care too much for me moving the fern to the garage.
Join me tomorrow as I rev up with tasty recipes for #BrunchWeek. I’ll start things off with my Cinnamon Roll Pizza recipe on Monday followed by Cinnamon Apple Dutch Baby on Tuesday. There will be brunch recipes each and every day so join me all five so you don’t miss a single tasty bite!
BBQ Chicken Salad
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 1- (5 ounce) packet McCormick GrillMates Smokehouse Mesquite 30-minute Marinade
- 1 medium zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 ear fresh corn, husks removed
- 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced ripe tomato
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese cubes
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing (get my from scratch recipe HERE)
- 2 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- two thick slices artisan French boule bread
- Cut or pound chicken into three 1/2 inch thick breast pieces and marinate in the Mesquite mixture for at least thirty minutes, as directed. I think mine sat in there 2-3 hours in the fridge while I goofed off.
- Prepare grill for direct grilling.
- Grill chicken to 165°F doneness, along with grilling corn until charred and tender, and grilling zukes and onions. I ran a wood skewer through the sides of the thick onion slices. I lightly oiled the vegetables and seasoned all with salt and pepper.
- At the end of grilling, lightly brush the thick slices of French boule with oil and grill until golden.
- Let the chicken rest 5-10 before slicing into strips.
- While you wait on that, use the time to prep you lettuce and other things.
- I built the salad in a large shallow bowl, lettuce first, topped with the other ingredients in their own areas, using sprouts to separate the piles.
- For the BBQ Ranch dressing, whisk together the ranch dressing with BBQ sauce. It’s just that easy!
- Serve the salad with the bread- not all my bread fit in the photo, but you can be sure we ate it!
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Sunday Supper Summer Dinner Salad Recipes
Brilliant Beef Salads
- Grilled Greek Steak Cobb with Greek Goddess Dressing by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Keilbasa and Warm Mustard Viniagrette Salad by Our Good Life
- Healthy Steak Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette Beef Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Southwestern Steak Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Choice Chicken Salads
- BBQ Chicken Salad by Palatable Pastime
- BBQ Chicken Avocado Hemp Seed Salad by Family Foodie
- Caribbean Chicken Quinoa Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Chicken Fried Picnic Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Salad with Orange and Fennel by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chrissy’s Cobb Salad by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Grilled Panzanella Salad with Chicken Sausage by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Rainbow Greek Chicken Salad by Jersey Girl Cooks
Superb Seafood Salads
- Beer Steamed Shrimp Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Crab Salad with Chili, Tomato and Avocado by Monica’s Table
- French Lentil Salad Nicoise-Style with Seared Tuna by Caroline’s Cooking
- Red Camargue and Wild Rice Salad with Tuna by Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Cod and Edamame Salad by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Key Lime-Dijon Vinaigrette by Gourmet Everyday
- Shrimp & Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Vibrant Veggie Salads
- Chopped Greek Salad by Soulfully Made
- Farmers Market Quinoa Salad by And She Cooks
- Iron Chef Morimoto Inspired Salad by NinjaBaker.com
- Kale Guacamole Salad by Pies and Plots
- Kale Superfoods Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Loaded Chopped Salad by Simple and Savory
- Muffuletta Pasta Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.