BLT Panzanella Salad is a Tuscan style chopped salad with all the flavors of your favorite toasted sandwich.
BLT Panzanella Salad
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is with the Foodie Extravaganza group which I am hosting this month. Each month we take turns being host and part of that fun is deciding what theme we will be posting about together.
April is National BLT month- so I selected that as an option. The BLT has always been one of my favorites.
Since we could do variations on that theme- I went for the salad and chose the panzanella which is an Italian salad from Tuscany which includes stale bread and tomatoes and is very popular in summer. Obviously, since most people will have gardens overflowing with those.
And while my garden isn’t in the ground just yet, tomatoes have been starting to look pretty good with some coming up from Florida. When I lived in Florida I enjoyed those year round.
Also part of this salad is the bacon- or it wouldn’t fit in the theme, would it? But who needs an excuse to eat bacon? It makes all salads fantastic.
I’ve also included a simple creamy chive dressing to toss this with, to give it a more mayo-like character as opposed to a vinaigrette. It makes this cute little side salad perfect to go with just about anything.
It’s National BLT Month!
- A Classic BLT Sandwich from Sneha’s Recipe
- BLT Focaccia from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- BLT Panzanella from Palatable Pastime
- BLT Pizza from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- BLT Waffle Fries from Simply Inspired Meals
- Cheesy Bacon and Tomato Lettuce Rolls from Food Lust People Love
- Fried Chicken BLT from Cookaholic Wife
Foodie Extravaganza celebrates obscure food holidays by posting delicious recipes your family will love. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a home cook looking for tasty recipes, check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!
BLT Panzanella Salad
- 10 ounces chopped Romaine lettuce
- 8 ounces 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 large ripe tomato diced
- 2 cups freshly toasted French bread croutons
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Stir together the dressing.
- Toss dressing with lettuce, tomato, bacon and croutons.
- Serve at once.
- Occasionally I quarter a hard-boiled egg to serve as a garnish.
- Also garnish with extra chives and bacon if you like.
Perfect recipe for today’s theme Sue. Thanks for hosting.
This looks amazing. Thanks so much for hosting this month.
This looks so yummy, almost like a wedge but with those yummy stale bread croutons.
Those wedge salads with the homemade blue cheese dressing and bacon crumbles are the bomb! I need to make one soon.
Thank you for hosting this even, Sue!. This is a perfect and filling salad, makes a wonderful dinner.