By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Disclaimer: Prizes for the Giveaway were provided by Fall flavors sponsors. All opinions and recipe content is my own.
Plum Kuchen is my recipe of the day with Fall Flavors week. All this week we will be posting recipes using our favorite autumn flavors. There is also a giveaway so make sure you enter that at the bottom of the post.
The Weekly Schedule
Plum kuchen is my recipe for today as I said. I will also be posting Bread Pudding with Crème Anglaise on Wednesday and then on Friday I will finish up with Pistachio and marmalade Crusted Brie with Figs, a recipe which was inspired by one I saw Jacques Pepin make with brie cheese.
Spreading the Frangipane on the Batter
Of course, there will be other recipes you can find by searching social media for #FallFlavors, as on Tuesday I will be posting with Bread bakers and then on Thursday with Improv Cooking. You can always check my groups schedule in the right hand margin. Other days I will be posting by chance.
Topping the Batter with Italian Plums
Locally Inspired and Sourced
This kuchen was inspired by a suggestion by a local market who announced they had the Italian Plums in from Eshleman Fruit Farm in Clyde, OH. And noted that they were “perfect for your Plaumenkuchen recipes” (which in fact they were.)
I thought to add some frangipane to the filling as I have been wanted to test out making that with an almond flour instead of using a food processor. It in fact, works out great.
Toppings Added- Ready to Bake!
The Italian plums were really tasty and I noted to myself that the batter will easily support using slightly larger plums if needed.
Kuchen isBaked and Cooling Down in the Pan!
I was extremely pleased with the results of using the frangipane in the coffee cake, so look for it to pop up in other recipes.
Sugar Sprinkle is the Finishing Touch
Monday Fall Recipes
- Apple Butternut Squash Casserole by That Recipe
- Apple Pie Tacos Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars by Lemon Blossoms
- Apple Tea-ramisu by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls by Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Crisp by Big Bears Wife
- Caramel Apple Empanadas by Take Two Tapas
- Caramel Apple Ice Cream Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Caramel Apple Tea Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Swirl Pound Cake by Family Around the Table
- Creamy Sweet Potato and Sunchoke Soup by Eat Move Make
- Easy Sausage And Veggies Sheet Pan Dinner by Intelligent Domestications
- Fall Harvest Potato Beet Soup by Frugal & Fit
- Fall Punch Mocktail by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Fall Vegetable Breakfast Hash by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Green Appletini Martini by Art of Natural Living
- Grilled Apple and Pear Salad with Maple Walnut Vinaigrette by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Meyer Lemon Scones by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pear Almond Crumble Pie by Savory Moments
- Pear Brown Betty by Cookaholic Wife
- Plum Kuchen by Palatable Pastime (You are Here!)
- Scalloped Potatoes with Sweet Potatoes, Fennel, and Leeks by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Smashed Roasted Rosemary & Garlic Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Toasted Pecan Filling by Books n’ Cooks
- Sunchoke Ricotta Gnocchi with Walnut Thyme Butter Sauce by The Spiffy Cookie
You Might Also Like:
Delicious baked breakfast with the flavor of apple pie!
Delicious cinnamon streusel topped tea cake with a cream cheese filling.
Easy baked mini pumpkin donuts dusted with spiced sugar.
Tender breakfast biscuits with the crunch of pecans, zesty orange, and a hint of spice finished with a tantalizingly sweet drizzle.
Delicious cherry sweet rolls provide a welcome respite from the usual cinnamon rolls with a light soft dough, fruity filling and sweet cherry glaze.
- 6 Italian Plums or Damson Plums halved and pit removed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter slightly softened
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Spray 8x8 inch square pan with baker's release.
- Spread half of batter into pan using wax paper to assist with stickiness.
- Mix together the frangipane filling.
- Cover batter with frangipane.
- Finish spreading batter on top.
- Cover with sliced damson plums (cut side up).
- Mix up the almond streusel and sprinkle on top.
- Bake 45-55 minutes.
- Cool in pan completely.
- Dust lightly with powdered sugar.
The wonderful #FallFlavors sponsors have donated some awesome prizes for our readers to win. They, in conjunction with our participating bloggers and event hosts, Family Around the Table, A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks invite you to enter the giveaway through the widget below. There are many opportunities to enter!
Republic of Tea
Dixie Crystals Sugar wants your baking to be sweet. They are giving away a set of OXO Good Grips 3 piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.
Taylor and Colledge
Taylor and Colledge is giving away a variety of their baking pastes. Your fall and holiday baked goods will wow your family and guests.
Take dinner to a whole new level with a variety box of fresh produce from Melissa’s. Here’s an opportunity to try some fruits and vegetables you may not otherwise have in your local market.
One lucky winner will receive a goodie box with a variety of Nairn’s gluten-free products. Enjoy them for a snack or use them in creative ways for meals and desserts.
This giveaway will have multiple winners. Giveaway open to US residents only who are 18 years of age and older. Winners have 24 hours to respond to email notification. If they do not respond within that time they forfeit, and a new winner is chosen. Void where prohibited. Prize fulfillment handled by the sponsor. Neither hosts nor participant bloggers are responsible for prize fulfillment. No purchase necessary. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the posts or entry.
Follow the Fall Flavors Pinterest board for more fall recipe inspiration!
Disclaimer: Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Melissa’s Produce, Dixie Crystals, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. All opinions are my own.
The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors.
The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!