Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s time for January Blogger C.L.U.E. with healthy recipes and what do you know? I am back on the wagon again for a healthy reducing diet. Last month I was just enjoying some delicious Anisette Cookies from Karen at A Spoonful of Thyme when I may possibly have eaten one too many and realized that after all the gorgeous, delicious holiday food, it was finally time to moderate back in the other direction. (Moderation in Everything!)
So this month I was assigned Anna Dishes blog, which is written by Anna, obviously. She has a great blog with lots of recipes from which to choose, but for healthy recipes I decided on her Squash and Kale Couscous with Roasted Chicken. I did change the delicata squash to butternut, but you could use any type of winter squash, really. And I tweaked the odds and ends like garlic salt to garlic and skipped some butter. (I am into trimming back the recipes to calculate WW SmartPoints). And I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to use cinnamon which is in the method, but not the list so I just skipped it. And it was fine. It made a very nice bowl of dinner, which I think would also be great in a wrap with maybe some lettuce and hummus. I calculated out the serving on this to 9 WW SmartPoints (that’s for the bowl, not a wrap) and it fit quite nicely into my daily meal.
I do hope you get a chance to check out Anna’s blog, and as well, the other participating bloggers listed below the recipe. And I will be back next month with another recipe from a mystery blogger. Karen from Lavender and Lovage has joined the group of which I am quite thrilled as I like her a lot (and her blog too!). She has also started Weight Watchers so be sure to keep an eye on her recipes. Maybe she will be the one? Maybe somebody new? Who knows? Shall we try to find a Blogger C.L.U.E.? 😉
Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables
Weight Watcher Smart Points (per serving) = 9
Brand of ingredients used may impact the nutritional information of this recipe resulting in a different SmartPoints value.
- 1 cup diced peeled Butternut Squash or other winter squash
- 1/3 cup uncooked Israeli Couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped Kale
- 1/2 cup cooked Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups chopped Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Breast (skin and bones removed)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Place diced peeled butternut squash on a nonstick foil lined baking sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes or until fork tender; set aside.
- While squash is roasting, boil couscous in 2 cups chicken broth for ten minutes or until tender; drain.
- Heat one teaspoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet and saute garlic until fragrant; add kale to pan and cook about 1 minute or until wilted.
- Stir in the kidney beans, diced roasted chicken, white wine vinegar, roasted squash and couscous, stirring to mix, and cooking until all is heated through, seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Check out the participating Blogger C.L.U.E. members this month as we sample each other’s healthy recipes. Don’t forget to pin your favorites so you don’t lose them!
- Apricot Muffins by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Broccoli Stalk Feta Salad by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Citrus Shrimp by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Ginger-Citrus Grilled Salmon by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Irish Seafood Cocktail by Kate from Kate’s Kitchen
- Massaged Kale Salad by Anna from annaDishes
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Orange Banana Matcha Smoothie by Kim from Liv Life
- Red Lion Inn Swordfish by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Roasted Carrots and Cauliflower (with a kick) by Debra from Eliot’s Eats
- Sophie’s Chopped Salad by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Bean Chili by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Winter Salad of Roasted Beets, Avocado and Grapefruit by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
You might also like: