Hatch Pepper Beer Chili
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s that time again when Hatch pepper season comes around out in new Mexico and has been for a few weeks, although it is still going on. Along with that the first hints of autumn with cooler nights even though the days are still blistering hot, and football season is upon us again. And on top of that it is National Beer Day.
What better tailgating food to enjoy than a Hatch chili laced chili con carne with black beans and beer in a true southwestern style?
So when Camilla Mann of Culinary Adventures with Camilla generously hosted a blogger round-up with Festive Foodies, I was very happy to jump right in.
We love a good chili here, especially with some footlong coneys, and a nice cold beer. I’m an old St. Louis girl, so Budweiser is a good choice in this, although Bill would probably lean towards his own beer crafting and creations, which he is pretty good at. But a lighter lager is perfect in any case, as the flavors pair nicely with the chilies.
Don’t miss the other beer recipes below the recipe printout, as we have a nice selection today. I love one-stop shopping for recipe ideas, don’t you? I am happy to have so many blogging friends with fantastic recipes I can jump in with and make your hunt for the perfect “cooking with beer” recipe very easy to find. I hope you enjoy! Bottom’s up!
Hatch Pepper Beer Chili
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups Hatch green chile salsa or salsa verde
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups diced tomatoes with liquid
- 12 ounces lager beer, such as Budweiser
- ground red pepper or chopped fresh jalapeno (optional, amount to taste)
- Cook onions garlic and beef until beef is browned and crumbled; drain excess fat.
- Stir in remaining ingedients and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick (about an hour).
- Serve with oyster crackers, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, as desired.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Bottoms Up for National Beer Day
- Beer Battered Onion Rings with Spicy Dipping Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Instant Pot Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs by Everyday Eileen
- Beer Brats with Caramelized Onions by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Hatch Pepper Beer Chili by Palatable Pastime
- Mexican Beer Chili by A Day in the Life on theFarm
- Stoverij + Our Favorite Belgian Beer by Culinary Adventures with Camilla