by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Sometimes I like to browse the recipes on the internet. I had been somewhere doing just that when my eye spotted a recipe called “Pizza Joes.” And immediately I thought it sounded interesting.
So I click on the recipe but…but…this is not pizza joes. It has bbq sauce and is only sloppy joes. Not exactly what I had envisioned, eh? So I close the recipe and pout like a child promised a pizza joe only to be told it wasn’t going to happen.
I don’t really need recipes to make my own food. When I look at other recipes, it is really more like browsing a menu in a restaurant where I merely discover what I am hungry for. And I am hungry for those pizza joes.
So I did have them envisioned already, saucy with pizza sauce and stuffed with pizza toppings, piled high on a bun with mozz cheese, like a strange lovechild of sloppy joes and French bread pizza.
And like many things if you want them done you might well have to do them youself, I did.
And they are exactly as I imagined, with no childish disappointment. Kids are going to love these. And the kid inside every adult too.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 28 ounces pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces turkey pepperoni, chopped (turkey is less greasy than the other type)
- 6 large kaiser rolls or 12 smaller hamburger buns, toasted
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese slices
- Cook sausage, ground beef, onion, green pepper, garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large skillet until meat is browned, cooked through and crumbled. Drain off as much fat as possible.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, pizza sauce, water and stir to mix.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chopped pepperoni.
- Serve mixture on toasted buns with slices of mozzarella cheese if desired (I microwave my sandwich with the cheese for about 30 seconds.)
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
You might also like: