Moist and spicy apple muffins have the flavors of autumn.
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Zucchini is notorious for being overly plentiful at this time of year. So no big surprise that zucchini bread is one of the most popular late summer/early autumn quick breads there is. And of course, with September being on our doorstep, our thoughts turn to apples as well. So why not combine them for a really moist, flavorful muffin to pack into lunches and serve with coffee?
We might be needing those hot drinks in a few weeks when summer suddenly turns its back on us, leaving with crisp mornings the like of which we have not seen in months.
I’m looking forward to it. Autumn is one of my favorite times of year. So naturally I couldn’t help getting on with the flavors of fall this month for Muffin Monday.These little gems have a bit more than just zucchini or applesauce bread/muffins. I think the chunks of apple add so much flavor that you might not otherwise get. It’s like having a touch of pie inside a muffin, and who doesn’t love pie?
Be sure to check out the other muffin recipes for this month- the links are listed below the recipe. And if you are a muffin-loving blogger who would love to join in each month, contact Stacy at the link below and she can fill you in on the easy details.
Until next time (can you believe it will be close to October next #MuffinMonday?)- the year certainly flies.
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped dried apple slices
- 1/2 cup grated firm zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cream together soft butter and brown sugar until smooth, then stir in the eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add buttermilk and applesauce, stirring to form a smooth batter.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add flour mixture to batter gradually, stirring into all the flour mix is incorporated.
- Stir in the chopped apple slices, grated zucchini and walnuts.
- Line an 18 hole muffin tin (or 2 tins) with paper liners or grease it well.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed without wet batter.
- Cool muffins in the pan 10 minutes then finish cooling on a wire rack.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
- Apple Zucchini Muffins by Palatable Pastime
- Blackberry Lemon Thyme Muffins by Food Lust People Love
- Doughnut Muffins by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Key Lime Pie Muffins (two ways) by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Lemon Muffins by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Whole Wheat Pear & Pecan Streusel Muffins (aka the Crack Muffins) by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Plantain Muffins by Passion Kneaded
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
You might also like:
Baked Apple French Toast Casserole
Can’t Find a Recipe? | Help
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home
Love this idea! They look delicious!
Great combo, Sue! Perfect for this time of the year as well.
These are the perfect muffins for this time of year Sue.
Love the combo of apple and zucchini! Perfect merging of summer into fall!
Thanks! They are nicely moist.
Those do sound quite flavorful, Sue!
These muffins look terrific! I never really got overwhelmed with zucchini this year–too good at turning it into food for other people I guess 😉 but I’m ready to get my apple on and these muffins look like a good start.
They are a good combo!