Hatch Green Chili Burgers
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
For a few short weeks each year it is Hatch green chili season, when the best tasting green Chilis are harvested out of New Mexico. Usually you will start seeing them in August, and the ones from Mexico can be found now. If you want nice fresh ones, call your grocer and ask when the might be getting some in. Sometimes they will even have a roasting truck outside.
I was fortunate enough digging around my freezer to find the last ones I had left from last year (you see I always buy extra). Of course you can probably try using canned green chilis (but they won’t be delicious Hatch) but whatever you do, don’t try making these burgers with green chili sauce. The meat would just be too wet and I shudder to think of it.
I mix mine all chopped up (roasted, minus the seeds and stems) into the ground beef with seasonings. The burgers are insanely moist and delicious.
And these are for #NationalBurgerMonth because, well…just because we can. And you can hear those who cannot crying on the wind like ghostly spirits on a desert night and I am waxing poetic or at least roaming from topic (again).
You know I was once a vegetarian. It was the siren call of the burger that brought me back. My daughter would cry wanting a burger, so I would cave and make her one. I’m not sure anything smells better than seared beef. So it wasn’t long before I was making myself one as well.
Hatch Green Chili Burger
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped Hatch green chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 toasted sandwich buns
- 3 slices pepper jack cheese
- leaf lettuce
- sliced ripe tomato
- thinly sliced red onion
- Combine burger ingredients and shape into patties.
- Grill until desired doneness, then top with cheese and place on toasted buns with desired toppings.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Here are some more tasty burgers for you.
July 28th is National Hamburger Day and to celebrate these fabulous foodie bloggers are sharing their favorite burger recipes! Check them out now:
- Animal Style Burgers from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Copycat Smashburgers from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fajita Burgers from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gourmet Burgers with Chipotle Mayo from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Hatch Green Chile Burgers from Palatable Pastime
- Lamb Burgers with Feta Sauce and Minted Tomato Salsa from Caroline’s Cooking
- Maple Mustard Turkey Burgers from Making the Most of Naptime
- Smash Burgers from Monica’s Table