Chicken and asparagus bake up wonderfully together with penne pasta in a cheese herb sauce with peas, artichokes and roasted garlic.
Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Bake
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is for a chicken and asparagus pasta bake utilizing penne pasta and cheese in a wine based sauce with artichokes and peppers. It’s part of Baking Bloggers this month, of which the theme is for “Baking with Spring Vegetables”.
The flavor is similar to a chicken alfredo casserole, but the flavors are somewhat different as well. I love using the spring vegetables such as asparagus and artichoke in this so it really doesn’t need as much meat as some pasta dishes do.
But still, it is hearty in and of itself with the noodles and the cheese. Paired with a tossed salad and garlic bread, this makes the perfect change of pace from the usual spaghetti night.
Baking with Spring Vegetables
- Baked Mixed Veg Pasta by Sneha’s Recipe
- Baked Romaine Lettuce Chips by Our Good Life
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Bake by Palatable Pastime
- Rhabarberkuchen – German Rhubarb Cake by Pandemonium Noshery
- Roasted Asparagus with Shaved Fennel by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Roasted Radish Tart by Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking
- Roasted Spring Vegetable Farro Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Veggie Cobb Salad by Cookaholic Wife
- Spring Vegetable Gratin by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sweet Onion Galette with Parmesan and Mascarpone by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
You Might Also Like:
Roasted Asparagus with Speck and Creamy Horseradish Sauce
Pesto Salad with Asparagus, Tomato and Pine Nuts
Asparagus and Roasted Garlic Hummus
Crab Stuffed Tilapia with Asparagus and Creamy Curry Sauce
Asparagus with Crispy Garlic Prosciutto
Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Bake
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- chicken seasoning: salt pepper and marjoram as needed
- 16 ounces uncooked penne or ziti pasta
- 1 pound fresh asparagus trimmed and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 14 ounces can artichoke hearts drained and sliced
- 1 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers or pimentos
- 4 scallions sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pound chicken out to quarter inch between sheets of plastic.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and marjoram as needed.
- Saute chicken in a small amount of olive oil until browned and cooked through, drain and slice.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions (probably 12-15 minutes), then drain.
- Heat oil in skillet and saute the onion, asparagus, and peas with seasonings until onion softens.
- Stir in flour to coat vegetables.
- Add wine and broth to pan, stirring over low heat until mixture boils; boil one minute.
- Stir in chopped cooked chicken, artichoke hearts, garlic cloves, roasted red pepper, scallions and parsley.
- Stir in heavy cream, milk and Parm and immediately remove from heat.
- Spray a large casserole or lasagna pan with nonstick.
- Toss cooked pasta with sauce and pour into casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until cheese melts and lightly browns.
Pure delicious comfort food in that casserole!!
Just one word, YUM! OK, so it was more. Love Penne Pasta and paired with some Asparagus, perfection.
That sounds so delicious! What a great way to get your veggies!
Sounds like a tasty, comforting meal!
Yum Yum! delicious and comforting meal this makes.
I love the artichoke hearts tucked in there, they are one of my favorite vegetables.