Totally portable, these 7-layer Dip cups with healthy Omega 3’s and flax oil are your secret weapon to healthy eating for the kids.
7 Layer Dip Cups
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Today’s post is sponsored by Barlean’s, Hamilton Beach, and Rhodes Bread as well as Crispy Green, and The Spice House. However, all opinions are my own. #ad #Back2School
Welcome to #Back2SchoolWeek! This week I will be sharing several recipes for busy families to save time with the advent of the school year in getting together breakfast, easy and enjoyable packable lunches or after-school snacks and dinner ideas even the pickiest child will love.
And to top that off, there is a fabulous giveaway you can sign up to win prizes by the event sponsors, so don’t forget!
Monday I started things off with breakfast, and a Western Omelet Breakfast Sandwich, because you know. First things first! Got to feed our monkeys (if we can manage to get them out of the bed on time!) Because a good breakfast is the start of any successful day.
But today I want to move on to lunchtime, or possibly even an after-school snack (for the really hungry) with a totally portable 7-Layer dip cup.
I want to thank Barleans for providing me with some OmegaPals to use in this recipe. Not only does it add a ton of flavor, it also makes the recipe just a teensy bit more healthy, without the kids knowing anything about it.
It Has Begun! How are You Holding Up?
If your kids have already started back to school this week, I hope you are surviving so far!
Especially the night before when invariably things deemed required are suddenly sprung on us. And I also hope the kids haven’t brought you any summer colds. Ugh. It seems like someone will always sneeze at school and send it home as parting gifts to everyone.
All that much more reason to try to get something a little more healthy into the food. And the OmegaPals may not stop the common cold, but the Omega 3’s and flax oil definitely are beneficial.
#Back2School Recipe Inspiration
For more amazing #Back2School recipes, please follow our #Back2School Pinterest board. Be sure to also check out my fellow bloggers participating all week long for more delicious dishes!
Blogghetti, Bowl Me Over, Cindy’s Recipes and Writings, Cheese Curd In Paradise, Cooking With Carlee, Doodlecraft, Everyday Eileen, Family Around the Table, Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, Juggling Act Mama, Karen’s Kitchen Stories, Mandatory Mooch, Palatable Pastime, The Schmidty Wife, and Wendy Polisi.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Apple Slices with Honey Peanut Mascarpone Dip
Spaghetti Rings in Tomato Sauce (Spaghettios)
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Beefy Cheeto Burritos
Chili Cheese Dog EggRolls
But Back to that Dip!
I’m Starving, Aren’t You?
To build these, the ingredients are layered into silicone freezer cups for making freezer jam. I chose these because the cups keep them nicely layered, and I don’t have to worry about the kids inadvertently breaking a glass jar coming and going from school, as I want these to be totally portable.
And they are.
Refried beans are layered in first, followed by seasoned cooked chicken, then the guacamole (containing the secret weapon of Omega Pals) and then some salsa.
I decided to make 7 layer dip with the Omega Pals,which comes in either strawberry or tangerine, after tasting them.
What Does it Taste Like?
The tangerine has a nice citrusy flavor. And while it is perfectly obvious to put it into something like a smoothie, citrus also pairs nicely with Mexican foods and meats.
Especially in guacamole, which likes having lime in it as well.
After the salsa is layered in, that is topped with sour cream, then cheese sauce/dip, and then a few sliced cherry tomatoes for good measure. You can also add a little cilantro, but it doesn’t really qualify as an eighth ingredient, just being a garnish, does it?
You serve these with the obligatory tortilla chips, and possibly a spoon to help extract the deeper parts of the dip.
Or just tumble it from the fridge into a bowl when the kids are at home, as they would after school.
The guac stays nice and green in there since it is not exposed to air. So these can be made ahead and will last several days.
Big Portions for Bigger Kids
I find the serving size suitable for a teen-age boy, so with smaller kids, you might want to downsize the portion into a smaller container. Or not. Kids can eat surprising amounts when they love what they are eating.
And love this they will, without having a singular clue that you slipped the healthy Omega Pals in there for their benefit.
7-Layer Dip Cups
- 4 Ball pint sized silicone freezer jars
- Tangerine-scented guacamole yield 1-1/4 cups:
- 2 ripe avocados peeled, pitted and mashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Barleans Omega Pals tangerine
Other dip ingredients:
- 1 (16 ouncecan refried beans with green chiles
- 12 ounces cooked taco-seasoned shredded chicken store-bought, whatever brand you like
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or thin sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese sauce canned
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro optional
- Layer ingredients in order in the silicone jars:
- First 1/2 cup refried beans.
- Top beans with 1/2 cup chopped shredded chicken.
- Then top chicken with a heaping 1/4 cup guacamole.
- After that, top guacamole with 2 tablespoons mild salsa.
- This is followed by 2 tablespoons Mexican crema or thin sour cream.
- Adding 1/2 cup cheese sauce over the sour cream.
- Ending with a few sliced cherry tomatoes on top, with perhaps a little cilantro (but only if the kids like that), followed by the lids.
- Chill until needed. For extra portability secure the lids with a rubber band, since they pop on and don't screw on (just in casso the lid doesn't come off in transport.
The giveaway includes the following prizes:
- Omega Pal’s Prize Pack from Barleans
- 1 item (winner’s choice from featured products) from Hamilton Beach
- Cookbook and coupons from Rhodes Bread
- 4 six-pack bags of Crispy Fruit snacks (mixed flavors) from Crispy Green
- Best Sellers Collection Gift Box from The Spice House
- Freezable Lunch Bag + Mod Lunch Bento from PackIt
Official Rules and Conditions: One (1) winner will be chosen. Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn. Open to US residents 18+ only. All entries will be verified. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, or any other entity unless otherwise specified. Giveaway ends 08/21/2019. Enter using the widget below.