Vegetable Beef Soup
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Today I have my recipe for vegetable beef soup which is done in the crock pot or slow cooker. I have always enjoyed a good soup like this with a small stack of saltines for as long as I can remember.
This is such a comforting soup that is totally dependable and is clean homestyle eating at its best. Clean eating might be a trend of recent years, but moms everywhere have been making this kind of thing forever. Chock full of vegetables and hearty beef, it makes a great light meal by itself or as something to tuck into lunches. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
What else has been going on- I’ve been teaming up with the bloggers of #FoodieExtavaganza to celebrate National Popcorn Day (which falls later this month) with my recipe for Popcorn Corn Bread. OMG! I totally know how weird it sounds. But you guys are going to like it, I know. It’s really not so weird when you see it. And another recipe is one I did for #SoupWeek- my Cheat ‘n’ Eat Vietnamese soup which some of you have tried from when I posted that at Food. Be sure to check both of these out!
Vegetable Beef Soup
- slow cooker
- 2 pounds stew beef trimmed and diced
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound diced red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup frozen Italian green beans thawed
- 24 ounces beef broth
- 22 fluid ounces tomato juice 4 small cans
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Season beef with salt and black pepper; brown beef in skillet with 1 tablespoon of the oil, place in the slow cooker.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the skillet and saute the onions, carrots, and garlic until the onions soften a bit then add those to the crock.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours until the beef and potatoes are tender.
Welcome to the #SoupWeek, hosted by Palatable Pastime. This week is all about delicious and warming soups. Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on FaceBook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram using the hashtag #SoupWeek. We also have a #SoupWeek Pinterest Board where you can see all of the offerings in one easy to access spot! What a great way to stay warm in cold weather!
- Asian Diet Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Grandma’s Copycat Kelly’s Cheese Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Rotisserie Chicken Bacon Corn Chowder from The Frugal Pantry
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Delicata Squash Soup with Curried Chickpeas and Onions from Caroline’s Cooking
- Vegetable Beef Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Maw-Maw’s Chili Mac Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Italian Wedding Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm