This is a quick and simple chili with ground beef and Mexican chorizo sausage which is perfect for a satisfying meal on a chilly autumn evening. This is especially good with some warm flour tortillas and a dark Mexican beer such as Negro Modelo.
Prep & Cook time: 90 minutes
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground fresh chorizo sausage
- 2 large onions
- 1/4 cup garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 1/4 cup new mexico chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground habanero pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup double strength beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans red kidney beans (optional)
Brown ground beef and chorizo with onion in a large heavy pan, breaking up meat lumps. Drain any fat.
Add garlic paste, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, chile powder, and ground habanero (or any other hot pepper or sauce you would like, in whatever quantity you like).
Stir in beef broth and crushed tomatoes, and simmer covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or place in crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Stir in beans, if using, and continue to cook until beans are hot.